10 November 2009

Taxi Driver posted, comments on Ju Dou

First order of business, my comments of Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver
are now up over at the Gatehouse. Here's a snippet from that article:
While perhaps not as widely referenced as Casablanca, Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver (1976) is a classic in its own right. Certainly, this is a different era of filmmaking altogether. A lot of time has passed; new techniques, technologies, and styles have developed, flourished, and sometimes faded; this is a new generation of directors.
It was a pleasure watching and writing about this film, and I hope for those who have seen it, you will enjoy my comments. For those who haven't, well, maybe it will make you think it's about time you did.


Secondly, I just returned from one of my film studies classes. This week we watched Ju Dou (1990) by Chinese director Zhang Yimou. The film was beautiful shot and certainly interesting. Personally, while I loved the characters, I found the story perhaps too "drama" for my tastes, though certainly one better than generic melodrama.

What follows is a free flow list of thoughts after viewing:
Color symbolism. Taoist use of blue/red applies to Ju Dou's clothing, but yellow? What does yellow mean in this movie? Is the child a continuation of the old man's power? Something new? Significance of funeral tradition may be lost. Would be interested in Wes's comments on the film, as he may understand some of the cultural significance more.
That may not make sense to most of you, but maybe it has you curious to find out what the hell I'm talking about. Good movie, though not one of my favorites so far.

1 comment:

  1. I've not seen the movie, but perhaps knowing that yellow used to be the colour of royalty might help?

    And this: I found the story perhaps too "drama" for my tastes - makes me snort. I have fairly Western sensibilities myself, and thus have never quite seen any movie/serial (aside from comedies) which are ever "just enough drama". It's always too much. I don't know why, I think that's just the way we roll.

    ReplyDelete